9.08.2008

Our First Recepient Cristine's Letter to the Family

Christine Rivas

July 9, 2008

Hello Stephanie's Family,

I was re-reading your letter to me and couldn't help to think of Stephanie and I wanted to share something about myself with you. See Stephanie and I have more in common than our love for the fine arts. See I too struggled with a disability that affected everything I did and wanted to do including school. As a young child I struggled with a developmental disability that affected my language development. The struggles were many, but as I look back at my experience I know without them I wouldn't be who I am today.

I am so excited about the upcoming experiences I will soon have in college. I've registered for my fall classes and I am currently working as a lifeguard in lower Manhattan- Dry Dock Pool - E. 10th Street and Avenue D. My mother is working towards making me my own studio apartment in our basement to allow me to experience being on my own - well sort of - as I will really be living safe at home. Considering I am her only child and I too was raise in a single parent household I know my mother is just looking out for me while giving me some freedom to grow. She feels I need a space on my own where I can invite friends over to study or study quietly on my own. When my basement project is complete I will have a living room and my very own office/study room. I plan on displaying Stephanie's Certificate in my study room to always remind me regardless of future life struggles always follow my dreams. In addition, I will have a collage of pictures of people in my life that are important to me, that have encouraged me and supported me - my family and friends, so I do have a request, I was wondering can you email a picture of Stephanie although we never met, I feel considering we have so much in common - we could have been friends.

I once again would like to thank you for this award and wanted to reassure you that I will not give up and will continue to reach for the stars.

Christine

No comments :