9.17.2014

2014 Scholar Update: Areta Gjicali

September 2014

Dear Stephanie Marie Burgos Scholarship Family,

This year has been the most challenging and best year of my life. I know that sentence sounds predictable but there is no other way to express it. In May, I graduated from City College with a degree in media communication. Before graduating, I received my acceptance letter to graduate school at one of the top universities in the nation, if not the world; Columbia University. Never in my dreams did I think I would get in. I started out college with a minor setback of being undocumented, where I felt I had to work twice as hard as the student next to me who was an American citizen. After receiving my papers, that was good enough for me. I was grateful to belong to the country that I have so much love for. As my senior year was quickly approaching, I realized all the opportunities I had, all the things that I could do, all the things I have yet to learn! When I received my acceptance letter, I knew it was something I had to pursue. Not only for myself, or for my family, but for every student that is incapable. For those that are undocumented, for all the children that lack a proper education in this world and for all the boys and girls whose lives were cut short, like Stephanie, who I never met, but continuously think about how proud she would be. Thank you to the Stephanie Marie Burgos Scholarship for all your support. Thank you for investing in education and for believing in us.

"Let us pick up our books and pens, they are our most powerful weapons." Malala Yousafzai 

All the best,
Areta Gjicali 
SMBS Scholar 2010 




Congratulations to Areta on your graduation from City College and acceptance into graduate school at Columbia University.   WE are all very proud of you.   Best wishes on all your future endeavors. 

Also, Thank you for continuing to be part of our SMBS family and accepting to be our newest board member. 


No comments :