12.01.2015

2015 Scholar Update: Alexander Martin

I find myself even more surprised to see where I’m at now as compared to last

year. I’m leaving this country for the first time in my life. I’m going to London in a week

and the future seems bright.

I’m a senior in college now. I have already completed my biology minor and

music major. I have one short year to go. I committed myself to take on a variety of

responsibilities in my three short years here, one of which was the Community Assistant

position. I’ve been offered a job running the STEM and Music program at a Boys and

Girls Club when I get back. I’m leaving my options open however so I did not commit.

There are going to be more opportunities after I return from Europe. I get to work for one

month as an intern in an industry of my choice.

I’ve explored the Adirondacks because of its convenience and accessibility and I

saw it as an opportunity to engage with the world in a different way. It taught me to trust

myself a little bit more. I found the virtue in silence and the Daks strengthened me

physically as well.

Every time I return to the city I’m grateful for the way things turned out with

school. I’m seeing doors open up that I did not see before. Being a Laurentian has

developed me into being a better learner and professional. I have considered continuing

my education as well.

 Thank you Roslyn and Mitchell S., and the Stephanie Marie Burgos Scholarship

foundation for accepting me as a scholar and actively providing opportunity to inner city

youth like myself.



All the best,

Alex Martin

No comments :