9.11.2010

Recepient Update: Our First Recepient, Christine Rivas May 2010



Add ImageMay 5, 2010



Hello Stephanie's Family,



Things have changed a lot for me since I last wrote you. First, I have officially declared my major. I am now working on my Bachelors in Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing. Its a concentration in the wider scale B.A. in English degree, with a few extra classes I have to take for the concentration. I've already taken Playwriting and I've decided I want to use my college education to become a professional screenwriter. I finished my very first script in that class, and I'm working on revising it. It's a play off Romeo and Juilet, with a twist of Alice in Wonderland. It was very interesting experience to write and think in the shoes of classic characters like that, and I think the finished product will turn out really well.



I also got a job over the winter break, which I've been at for a few now, since I started in the beginning of December. I work at a Saturday day habilitation program at OSAC office in Jamaica, working with autistic kids. I can't even begin to tell you how much I like that job. It's a rewarding experience to be able to say I've worked with these kids and that I know them every week, even if it's only for four hours on a Saturday.



One of the big things I've done this year is to get involved with the student life at school. Over the fall term, I joined the art club, where I learned a lot about studio art and learned a very real way that anything can be art. (I met someone in the art club that made a medieval shield out of an old satellite dish.) With the art club, I went to the medieval fair in Fort Tryon Park, represented them at a club fair, and had the experience of hanging something I had made at a school art gallery, which was fun because I got to put something I'd made out there for people to see, and that's something I did this year that I'm really proud of. I also joined the Brooklyn College Chorale and I got to sing with them at a concert with the orchestra accompanying us, which was a huge thing for me, because I'd never sang for an audience that big before.



This semester, I started on one of the craziest and strangely rewarding journeys of my life. I have been pledging Alpha Sigma Sorority for almost eight weeks now. My pledging name is Smilie (I'm not sure why they picked this, but my guess is because they know I like to write), and have three other pledge sisters who I've gotten very close to. Pledging isn't like the media protrays it to be, but at the same time it is. Over the past eight weeks I've had to do some crazy things, but I'm learning about the process, about what it means to be there for someone no matter what, and about myself. This wasn't something I ever thought I would do, but now that I have started and I'm in the middle of it, I'm really proud of myself for being able to stick through it no matter how hard it is.



This year has been really eventful for me, but I'm happy to say I'm doing a lot of things I'm proud of, and although I've been really busy, it's been pretty worth it, and I'm really glad I got to tell you guys about it.



Sincerely,


Christine Rivas

No comments :