8.19.2012

2012 Scholar Update: Areta Gjicali

As another year came to an end I was able to realize a few things about college and the pursuit of happiness. You see, these two principles mix together very well since my happiness in life is pursuing a degree that not only benefits me but others as well. Society today enforces us to finish school and get a degree in order for us to find jobs. But jobs are not so easy to find, a college degree isn't a guarantee towards a job, college is your connection to opportunities and its up to us to take them. I focused so much on my grades trying to get A's across the board that I dismissed the favorable chances I had in front of me. I needed to find my niche. I became more active with clubs and organizations, got myself involved with what I wanted to do rather than what society or the norm was expecting me to do. This year I was involved in the Albanian club, I became secretary of the Greek Hellenic Club and became a volunteer with a non profit organization called Project Sunshine. Project Sunshine selects volunteers that participate in entertainment for terminal or temporary sick children at various hospitals. This volunteering program opened my path towards the career I one day want to pursue.This inspired me to declare my major in  Communications and hopefully one day work with non profit organizations. 
I am very happy to have finally figured out some sort of path that follows my goals and dreams. It is unfortunate that some people fall short of their dreams not because they are incapable but because life called them out. Just how volunteering inspires me to continue with my dreams, The Stephanie Marie Burgos Scholarship inspires me to LIVE UP to my dreams. Being part of this scholarship is a constant reminder how important it is to take advantage of every opportunity because at any moment goals and dreams can disappear as fast as they were set. 

Thank you for inspiring me. 
-Areta Gjicali


  


No comments :